1995-01-27 - Re: The Remailer Crisis

Header Data

From: root <root@einstein.ssz.com>
To: flatline@u.washington.edu (Christopher E Stefan)
Message Hash: e4347a10694751d6f6d2184e80d3bfa275f060adba0377e199090ef65dc99358
Message ID: <199501270002.SAA00862@einstein.ssz.com>
Reply To: <Pine.A32.3.91c.950126152907.79370E-100000@mead2.u.washington.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1995-01-27 00:13:22 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 26 Jan 95 16:13:22 PST

Raw message

From: root <root@einstein.ssz.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 95 16:13:22 PST
To: flatline@u.washington.edu (Christopher E Stefan)
Subject: Re: The Remailer Crisis

> Most LEC's charge per-minute for ISDN.  Pac Bell and SWBT are some of the
> few exceptions.  What's even worse is in some states there isn't even a
> residential ISDN tariff, hence all ISDN lines are "business" lines and
> billed accordingly.  The only real solution is to demand dial the
> connection from both ends.  This is fairly straightforward assuming your
> provider is set up for it, since there is a lot of ISDN equipment that
> will brfing the connection up only when there are packets to send then
> idle it out.

Here in SWB territory there are residential and business rates for ISDN.

> An economical alternative in some areas is frame-relay.  In Washington
> state USwest wants ~$70/month for a 56k FR link to anywhere in your
> LATA.  The providers around here charge $100-$150 to link a single
> machine to the net via FR, and $150-$350 if you are routing a whole
> subnet.

Be shure to multiply these costs by 2 since a singe 56k is approx. half of
2 B's that have been bonded. I specificaly looked for a provider who didn't
charge according to how many machines I have on the other end. I am buying
the ability to send a certain amount of bits over a wire in a certain amount
of time. Whether those bits come from 1 or 100 machines is irrelevant.

I would have no problem w/ interNIC chargeing for registering IP's (which I
hear may happen sooner than we realize) since I got a full 'C' when I set up.
We already use 23 of the addresses and will be looking at adding at least a
couple of more in the near future.

In the case of the CombiNet 160 the choice of 'idle-out' or 'tear-down' is
one of software. The codec is programmed via a serial line (which the dox say
can be hooked to a modem, as if anyone was that stupid) port and has its own
little menu system. I keep both my B's running all the time.

Take care.

Thread