1995-02-14 - Re: CDT POLICY POST No.2 – X9 TO DEVELOP TRIPLE-DES STANDARDS

Header Data

From: “L. McCarthy” <lmccarth@ducie.cs.umass.edu>
Message Hash: 1ff582d59999a2030447459cd57e839256fe98b331f8f56a621bf3953e1d0fc4
Message ID: <199502140114.UAA17825@ducie.cs.umass.edu>
Reply To: <9502132043.AA17858@toad.com>
UTC Datetime: 1995-02-14 01:12:35 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 13 Feb 95 17:12:35 PST

Raw message

From: "L. McCarthy" <lmccarth@ducie.cs.umass.edu>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 95 17:12:35 PST
Subject: Re: CDT POLICY POST No.2 -- X9 TO DEVELOP TRIPLE-DES STANDARDS

CDT writes:
> The NSA's efforts to push the adoption the Clipper/Skipjack
> government-escrowed encryption scheme encountered a major
> setback earlier this month with the decision by the
> Accredited Standards Committee X9 to proceed with the
> development of a data security standard based on triple-DES.
>
> The ASC X9 committee is responsible for setting data security
> standards for the US banking and financial services
> industries.

Are the minutes of the deliberations of X9, in complete or digest form,
available to the public anywhere ? It would be useful to get a sense of how
close the vote was, whose representatives voted which way, and the arguments
the members found most compelling in reaching their decision. We need to
gather as much feedback as possible, in order to determine which strategies
are liable to be effective in the future. The answers may not come as a
surprise, but confirmation of our suspicions would be nice.

-L. Futplex McCarthy

Thread