1995-02-03 - Re: Why encrypt intra-remailernet.

Header Data

From: Nathan Zook <nzook@bga.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 3600156b323cc36a8eb4a73bf732bb846c433db9c893ef031d6a473289edd0f1
Message ID: <Pine.3.89.9502022036.D23979-0100000@vern.bga.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 2 Feb 95 18:01:19 PST

Raw message

From: Nathan Zook <nzook@bga.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 95 18:01:19 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re:  Why encrypt intra-remailernet.

>We had some concerns here a while back that someone was trying to exploit
>such a feature to create an exponentially-growing message that would
>totally overload the remailers.  A message of the form:
>
>::
>Request-Remailing-To: <list of remailers here>
>
>::
>Request-Remailing-To: <list of remailers here>
>
><repeat about 20 times>
>
>was sent.  If all remailers had observed and honored the multiple
>requests, there would have been uncounted trillions of messages flying
>about.  So I would caution anyone considering implementing this feature.
>
>Hal

Was this Detweiller's "exponentially growing message"?
Note that requiring pgp wrappers kills this...

Nathan

Thread