1995-02-05 - Re: Vinge on PKE ?

Header Data

From: Lou Poppler <lwp@garnet.msen.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: a45170304210cb75d87be3349bafdf7d3f5d16c215da1d900620ebcacc0b10b7
Message ID: <Pine.BSI.3.91.950204211924.25224A-100000@garnet.msen.com>
Reply To: <199502050152.RAA07725@mycroft.rand.org>
UTC Datetime: 1995-02-05 02:33:47 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 4 Feb 95 18:33:47 PST

Raw message

From: Lou Poppler <lwp@garnet.msen.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 95 18:33:47 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Vinge on PKE ?

On Sat, 4 Feb 1995, Jim Gillogly wrote:
> "A Fire Upon the Deep."  Our galaxy is divided into a number of zones where
> computation can be easier or harder than in the particular section where
/.../
> In this situation you can't trust your security to merely computationally
> difficult problems like factoring large numbers: the denizens of the faster
> zones could crack them faster than slower communicators could enumerate them.

Yes, and even in the here and now, we suspect the existence of Powers with
computational resources far in excess of our own.  But do we know for
sure that PKE *must* rely on computational obfuscation?  Is it
demonstrable that access to a public key always yields the secret key,
given sufficient computational power?  Or is this only a result of the
clumsy way we construct our keypairs here in the slow zone?

Thread