1995-02-09 - Re: Best encryption device driver for MS-DOS?

Header Data

From: Alan Barrett <barrett@daisy.ee.und.ac.za>
To: ecarp@netcom.com
Message Hash: b7a7c39eca4240ceb2e4c3409c7e8ab966c2760f599037845d81faf5674bfbbc
Message ID: <Pine.NEB.3.91.950209162432.23367N-100000@daisy.ee.und.ac.za>
Reply To: <m0rcZRT-0004IhC@s116.slcslip.indirect.com>
UTC Datetime: 1995-02-09 14:47:05 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 9 Feb 95 06:47:05 PST

Raw message

From: Alan Barrett <barrett@daisy.ee.und.ac.za>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 95 06:47:05 PST
To: ecarp@netcom.com
Subject: Re: Best encryption device driver for MS-DOS?

I don't know which is the "best" encrypting file system for MS-DOS.  I
currently use Peter Gutmann's SFS, and am very happy with it.  I have used
SecureDevice (from Max Loewenthal and Arthur Helwig) in the past, and
found it painfully slow on my 25MHz 386SX.  I also know of Mike Ingle's
SecureDrive, but I have not used it.  SFS and SecureDrive require a
separate partition.  SecureDevice uses a container file instead of a
separate partition.

You also asked about Linux.  I think that Matt Blaze's CFS would work
there, but I don't know.

--apb (Alan Barrett)

Thread