1995-02-08 - Re: Effects of S.314 (Communications Decency Act)

Header Data

From: Ben <samman@CS.YALE.EDU>
To: Samuel Kaplin <skaplin@mirage.skypoint.com>
Message Hash: e06e18b373412b2c4491775203bc19ba29153707ba528aa9bb5f3edb27a7f5d1
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.91.950207193831.7816I-100000@jaguar.zoo.cs.yale.edu>
Reply To: <3a0ElKjqRqtP078yn@mirage.skypoint.com>
UTC Datetime: 1995-02-08 00:40:39 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 7 Feb 95 16:40:39 PST

Raw message

From: Ben <samman@CS.YALE.EDU>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 95 16:40:39 PST
To: Samuel Kaplin <skaplin@mirage.skypoint.com>
Subject: Re: Effects of S.314 (Communications Decency Act)

On Tue, 7 Feb 1995, Samuel Kaplin wrote:

> I just had an interesting conversation with a person who works for an ISP.
> Basically their response if S.314 becomes law will be to preprocess all
> incoming mail. If it is uuencoded or encrypted, into the bit bucket it will
> go. They are still thinking about what to do with telnet and ftp.

Just use netnews for mail then.  We can divide up netnews into different
regions pgp.us.ca.north  pgp.us.ca.south etc. and then just post pgp'd
messages to the net.  Kinda like blacknet.  Ok so there's a high cost
involved in it, granted.

Also writing a bot to search through net news daily for anything signed
with your PGP key isn't too difficult.

> This is starting to get very scary.

Indeed citizen-unit.  Wait over in the corner for processing.

Ben.

Thread