1995-02-10 - PSI Gulps Pipeline

Header Data

From: John Young <jya@pipeline.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: ebaa9d87d68ac9708556e79294394821d19ebcbe668e7bdfc0d87c9eadcb2365
Message ID: <199502101742.MAA05625@pipe3.pipeline.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 10 Feb 95 09:43:36 PST

Raw message

From: John Young <jya@pipeline.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 95 09:43:36 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: PSI Gulps Pipeline

Forwarding mail by: gleick@pipeline.com (James Gleick) on Fri,
10 Feb  0:12 AM
-------------------

Dear Pipeliners,

I'm pleased to be able to tell you that the Pipeline has become
part of  a larger enterprise: Performance Systems International
(PSINet), the  nation's leading Internet access provider.

That means two things immediately.

First, PSINet has a state-of-the-art dialup network in many
cities  across the nation, and these will shortly be available
to our users at  a cost much less than our current out-of-town
SprintNet surcharges.

Second, PSINet plans to use our Internaut software as the basis
for a  national service--not to replace the New York-based
Pipeline but to  provide an alternative for out-of-towners who
don't especially care  about New York information and services.

PSINet is a company a lot like ours--small (though not so small
 anymore), enthusiastic, fast-moving, and steeped in Internet
history.  The people there care about the Internet as an
environment worth  preserving even as it grows so explosively.
And they admire what we've  accomplished here at the Pipeline
in forming a model online service.

That's enough for now--there will be more information following
along  behind, but I wanted you to hear it here first.  As for
me--this isn't  goodbye, exactly, but I have gotten a little
behind on a book I was  supposed to be writing . . .

I am deeply grateful to all of you--staff and customers--for
making  the Pipeline what it is and for letting me get to know
you a little bit.

Jim

--
James Gleick