1995-02-10 - Re: Effects of S.314 (Communications Decency Act)

Header Data

From: Robert Rothenburg Walking-Owl <rrothenb@ic.sunysb.edu>
To: slowdog@wookie.net (slowdog)
Message Hash: ece76adf7bb676b98804c03fe6777855440a202effc9791e004215ef32380ea5
Message ID: <199502101031.FAA23805@libws4.ic.sunysb.edu>
Reply To: <Pine.LNX.3.91.950209195950.9468A-100000@chewy.wookie.net>
UTC Datetime: 1995-02-10 10:32:10 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 10 Feb 95 02:32:10 PST

Raw message

From: Robert Rothenburg Walking-Owl <rrothenb@ic.sunysb.edu>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 95 02:32:10 PST
To: slowdog@wookie.net (slowdog)
Subject: Re: Effects of S.314 (Communications Decency Act)

> On Thu, 9 Feb 1995, Robert Rothenburg Walking-Owl wrote:

[ .. ]

> > > broadcast paradigm, while the online world operates within the network
> > > paradigm. There are no hours in which it is safe to broadcast because
> > > there is no "broadcast" in the tradition sense.
> >
> > Yes, I was discussing broadcasting. Scary thought is that because networks
> > are different they will try to outright ban everything.
>
> I wonder though sometimes if it's even occurred to lawmakers that they
> can't apply the safe harbor notion for indency to computer networks.

The lawmakers have been trying to eliminate indecency (not just obscenity)
altogether... they don't want a safe harbor--that's something that came down
from the courts.

> - dog

Rob

Thread