1995-02-03 - Re: “bad” government

Header Data

From: Black Unicorn <unicorn@access.digex.net>
To: Al Thompson <alt@iquest.net>
Message Hash: ef2148dd55e73006dad2ad91d8e1814fc07095bddbea8d7e6fd81b005aacb42a
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.91.950202195912.3944C-100000@access3.digex.net>
Reply To: <m0rZj0d-000E8pC@dorite.use.com>
UTC Datetime: 1995-02-03 01:00:14 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 2 Feb 95 17:00:14 PST

Raw message

From: Black Unicorn <unicorn@access.digex.net>
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 95 17:00:14 PST
To: Al Thompson <alt@iquest.net>
Subject: Re: "bad" government

On Wed, 1 Feb 1995, Al Thompson wrote:

> Date: Wed, 01 Feb 1995 12:31:20 -0600
> From: Al Thompson <alt@iquest.net>
> To: Charles Bell <quester@eskimo.com>
> Cc: cypherpunks@toad.com
> Subject: Re: "bad" government
>

> >> If strong government resulted in liberty and freedom, then the
> >> most intrusive, all-encompassing governments would result in
> >> its citizens having the most liberty.  Is this the case?  I would
> >> look at the (former) Soviet Union, Iran, Cuba, East Germany, etc.,
> >> for your answer.
>
> >Unrestricted individual freedom leads to unrestricted freedom of
> >`private' corporations.  Private corporations uncurbed by society's law are
> >autarkies: internally totalitarian, externally predatory, as amoral as
> >amoebas.
> >
> >Is this the shape of the future you seek?

Yes, orginization by choice, not by design.

> You can NOT restrict someone's rights simply because they MIGHT harm another
> (prior restraint).  If they do cause actual harm to someone, they should be
> brought to justice.  To place restrictions on someone based on the
> possibility that may may cause harm introduces restrictions based solely on
> the authorities' opinions (political philosophy, religion, race, etc).

Precisely.

> That that the shape of the future YOU seek?
> *           Just your basic signature block                *
> *  Al Thompson                                             *
> *  Fidonet 1:231/110                                       *
> *  alt@iquest.net                                          *

073BB885A786F666 nemo repente fuit turpissimus - potestas scientiae in usu est
6E6D4506F6EDBC17 quaere verum ad infinitum, loquitur sub rosa    -    wichtig!

Thread