1995-02-08 - Re: S.314, the “Pi Bill”

Header Data

From: Samuel Kaplin <skaplin@mirage.skypoint.com>
To: “Timothy C. May” <tcmay@netcom.com>
Message Hash: faf38c42c54817c177200723e9cb1c5a3dc257a89f66eba44f0fb506471b4671
Message ID: <Pine.SV4.3.91.950208002952.25082A-100000@mirage.skypoint.com>
Reply To: <199502080547.VAA28367@netcom11.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1995-02-08 06:41:32 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 7 Feb 95 22:41:32 PST

Raw message

From: Samuel Kaplin <skaplin@mirage.skypoint.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 95 22:41:32 PST
To: "Timothy C. May" <tcmay@netcom.com>
Subject: Re: S.314, the "Pi Bill"

On Tue, 7 Feb 1995, Timothy C. May wrote:

> Brad Huntting wrote:
>
> > Can anyone confirm this S.314 thing?  It sounds an awful lot like
> > the "modem tax" and other urban legends.
> >

> I wrote a post to comp.org.eff.talk in which I asked if "S.314" isn't
> just the "Pi Bill," in which pi = 3.14 is mandated to be pi = 3.00.
>
> S.314 I initially, for a minute or so, thought to be a put-on, a
> spoof. But the text lacked other signs of humor and had the trappings
> of a real bill. And then versions from reputable groups began to
> appear, so I was of course convinced it was real.
>
> If it's a spoof, it's too cute by half.
>
> --Tim May

I too thought it was a spoof initally. Hell, what Senator would be dumb
enough to name a bill this way if it was real. If I were trying to pass a
bill of this nature, it would be double-speak all of the way. But alas it
is true...And I thought the DT bill was bad.

Both of my congresscritters have been faxed and queried as to their
position. I'll inform the group when they fax me back. I would urge
others to do this. This will be unbelievably bad if we loose this one.
The ramifications on this bill are still hammering me in the head.

Sam

Thread