1995-07-26 - Re: RC4

Header Data

From: Jon Lasser <jlasser@rwd.goucher.edu>
To: Russell Ross <rross@sci.dixie.edu>
Message Hash: 2870769de13c03df42930ba868717136c5bca156bb290f0847eb4c0d4e454479
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.91.950726160640.3857A-100000@rwd.goucher.edu>
Reply To: <v01520d01ac3c496012a1@[144.38.16.209]>
UTC Datetime: 1995-07-26 20:12:51 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 26 Jul 95 13:12:51 PDT

Raw message

From: Jon Lasser <jlasser@rwd.goucher.edu>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 95 13:12:51 PDT
To: Russell Ross <rross@sci.dixie.edu>
Subject: Re: RC4

On Wed, 26 Jul 1995, Russell Ross wrote:

> I wasn't aware that you could copyright an algorithm.  Patent, yes, but not
> copyright.  Intellectual property meens secret, right?  Aren't there any
> precendence cases involving propriety schemes that are reverse engineered?
> I know there have been, I just can't remember what they are.

There was one a few years back with a special chip in Nintendo cartridges
that you needed to buy from them... it was against a company called Atari
(no, not THAT atari (i think)), and was decided in Atari's favor.

Hope that helps...
Jon
Jon Lasser                <jlasser@rwd.goucher.edu>            (410) 494-3253
          Visit my home page at http://www.goucher.edu/~jlasser/
  You have a friend at the NSA: Big Brother is watching. Finger for PGP key.

Thread