1995-07-13 - Re: Anti-Electronic Racketeering Act of 1995 (fwd)

Header Data

From: lmccarth@cs.umass.edu (L. McCarthy)
To: perry@imsi.com
Message Hash: 3f158ffb47d10ce526881428be07c5039f08a5e38fbd023c74d58389207b16fd
Message ID: <9507131855.AA04443@cs.umass.edu>
Reply To: <9507131535.AA12389@snark.imsi.com>
UTC Datetime: 1995-07-13 18:55:51 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 13 Jul 95 11:55:51 PDT

Raw message

From: lmccarth@cs.umass.edu (L. McCarthy)
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 95 11:55:51 PDT
To: perry@imsi.com
Subject: Re: Anti-Electronic Racketeering Act of 1995 (fwd)

Perry writes:
> This law would also criminalize selling crypto software -- even
> emasculated crypto software -- at Egghead, by the way. Remember, even
> *if the crypto software is exportable* its a crime. It also would
> criminalize the distribution of ROT-13. I'm not making either of these
> things up.

Draconian as it is, you seem to be overlooking some of the (ever so faintly)
mitigating clauses of this Grass-t-ley bill. Pre-arranged GAK is an admissible
excuse for dodging the crypto ban, so ROT-13 could still be distributed.

Why do you think Egghead couldn't sell crypto any more ?  It's not a computer
network by any definition I've heard so far....

-Futplex <futplex@pseudonym.com>
GAK: it's not just a bad idea, it may soon be the law !

Thread