1995-07-17 - Re: Anti-Electronic Racketeering Act of 1995 (fwd)

Header Data

From: lmccarth@cs.umass.edu (L. McCarthy)
Message Hash: 5c577efe69e31442a164225deee380d426a14eaca7d572408b4d041847d5bc7a
Message ID: <9507172227.AA09751@cs.umass.edu>
Reply To: <v01510102ac3065ad0aaa@[193.74.217.20]>
UTC Datetime: 1995-07-17 22:28:00 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 17 Jul 95 15:28:00 PDT

Raw message

From: lmccarth@cs.umass.edu (L. McCarthy)
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 95 15:28:00 PDT
Subject: Re: Anti-Electronic Racketeering Act of 1995 (fwd)

Andrew Spring writes:
> This wasn't really my point.  Grassley's bill implies that uploading crypto
> to an overseas FTP site would qualify as a predicate act, needed for a RICO
> seizure.  I think he is assuming that someone would do this for the
> purposes of making money: and that anything bought with that money would be
> RICOable.  I don't think he or anyone else in Congress is aware that people
> tend to do this stuff for free.

I disagree.
Sec. 1030A (a) under S.974 would make it illegal to
"transfer unlicensed computer software,"
*"regardless of whether the transfer is performed for
economic consideration"*.

S.974 would make each such transfer a predicate act
for RICO purposes.

(this message is oddly formatted due to problems I'm
having with my environment right now)

-Futplex

Thread