1995-07-29 - Re: what the military does and why (re: cryptography)

Header Data

From: fc@all.net (Dr. Frederick B. Cohen)
To: alanh@infi.net (Alan Horowitz)
Message Hash: 647cbe4e9fccdc0a78ce5c7bf2fa7417561cc9c0cdca69b243e7c53dc011198a
Message ID: <9507291737.AA12037@all.net>
Reply To: <Pine.3.89.9507291333.A17374-0100000@larry>
UTC Datetime: 1995-07-29 17:43:24 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 29 Jul 95 10:43:24 PDT

Raw message

From: fc@all.net (Dr. Frederick B. Cohen)
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 95 10:43:24 PDT
To: alanh@infi.net (Alan Horowitz)
Subject: Re: what the military does and why (re: cryptography)

> Doc, how much actual workaday classified traffic have you laid eyes upon?

I could tell you, but then I'd have to shoot you.

> Never seen a E-2's orders to alcohol-rehabilitation school classified Top
> Secret?
> Never seen extracts from Janes _Ships of the World_ classified as
> Secret?

Just because you don't know why they are classified that way doesn't
make the classifications invalid, and furthermore, I don't recall saying
that the DoD is perfect.  What I said was that they can't cost
effectively encrypt all information and that they also have requirements
that may make cryptography inapporpriate in certain circumstances, so
they have policies and perform risk analysis on what to spend money
protecting with cryptography.

> Management Analytics. That's what the world needs.

Even a monkey eventually types truly wise statements given enough time.

--
-> See: Info-Sec Heaven at URL http://all.net
Management Analytics - 216-686-0090 - PO Box 1480, Hudson, OH 44236

Thread