1995-07-16 - Re: Unix not the Only Place for “Vanguard” Applications

Header Data

From: Nesta Stubbs <nesta@nesta.pr.mcs.net>
To: Phil Fraering <pgf@tyrell.net>
Message Hash: 6e78319377b3c427ae22d700a4453566cccb065c96d47a111bc7c80cf6985465
Message ID: <Pine.LNX.3.91.950715141132.1604B-100000@nesta.pr>
Reply To: <199507152320.AA05094@tyrell.net>
UTC Datetime: 1995-07-16 20:27:18 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 16 Jul 95 13:27:18 PDT

Raw message

From: Nesta Stubbs <nesta@nesta.pr.mcs.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 95 13:27:18 PDT
To: Phil Fraering <pgf@tyrell.net>
Subject: Re: Unix not the Only Place for "Vanguard" Applications

On Sat, 15 Jul 1995, Phil Fraering wrote:

>    Frankly, Unix fragmented into a bunch of pieces. Maybe it was because of
>    the USL-Novell-AT&T-Sun-Unix International-etc. battles (I don't even
>    recollect who was who in this battle). Maybe it was the News vs. X vs.
>    OpenLook vs. NeXTStep vs. etc. user interface battles.
>
> Well, it looks like there will be a major Unix mainstream again
> with two branches capable of more-or-less running each other's
> binaries without too much pain: FreeBSD and Linux.

My sentiments in a way, you'll see some higher end PC users moving to
this, plus the usual gammut of teenage hackers, like I was.

>    In any case, I expect Windows (and Windows NT) will take an ever-increasing
>    share of the market for at least the next several years. I'm hardly alone
>    in this expectation.
>
> BTW, I hear Linux can now run Windows 3.1 in its DOS box.

not completely, it can load it and some apps if you run it like you used
to have to on a 286.  WINE is far from complete.  The thing is some major
software compnies are actually taking initiative and making lInux native
apps, like Wordperfect is coming out in Fall, and Matlab and Mathematica
are either here already, or will be here in a month or so.  Alot fo
commercial databases are coming to Linux too.

BUT, please PLEASE, let's not let this turn into a advocacy war, I hang
out on those groups myself and get enough of them there, don't need it
here.  I think we're all intelligent enough to realize that both platform
bases have advantages and disadvantages.  I personally get a woody form
anything that flips bits so I'm not about to argue.

"I regret that I have but six orifices to give you" -Nesta Stubbs
/-/ a s t e  http://www.mcs.net/~nesta/home.html Angeli Caduti Assasin

Thread