1995-07-19 - RE: Stego-Rants ?

Header Data

From: “Peter Trei” <trei>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 81cd9c060370d620fd8ebbd528d529e22066d5a29bf5ae6f7cf30fb53ccd22fb
Message ID: <9507191316.AA14859@toad.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 19 Jul 95 06:16:28 PDT

Raw message

From: "Peter Trei" <trei>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 95 06:16:28 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: RE: Stego-Rants ?

> Which of the following is the cleartext?
> 1. Bit and byte dropout can significantly impede communication.
> 2. Flower and shrub planting can greatly enhance landscaping.
> 3. Word and phrase substitution can hopelessly disguise meaning.
> 4. UFO and space-alien belief can seriously damage credibility.
> If you *presume* my context, you easily identify (3).  If only the wordlists
> that translate between (1), (2) and (4) were available for your inspection,
> you would be up the creek but you wouldn't know it.
> Yes, this is aba's "exxon" at work again, and yes, it seems to me that
> deniability through other-plausible-meaning is viable as a form of stego.
> Grammatical correctness is easy to maintain, and care in choosing words can
> preserve much apparent meaning.
> Bolivar

This class of code is fairly old. In 'The Codebreakers' an incident
is recounted (I think from WW2). A suspected spy in the US was sent
a cable from overseas, reading 'Our father is dead'. This was
intercepted, and the censors, suspecting a stego'd message,
substituted 'Our father is deceased'.

The suspected spy immediatly sent back 'Is father dead or deceased?',
and was arrested.

The book contains many fascinating stories of stego and attempted
stego, including mailed knitting patterns, crossword puzzles,
drawings, sports statistics, etc.

On the eve of Pearl Harbour, the wife of a Japanese diplomat in Oahu
sent a long message to Japan describing in detail the many kinds of
flowers blooming at that time in Hawaii. It was sent through
non-diplomatic channels, and authorities suspecting it contained
stego, failed to deliver it. After the war it came out that she did
regular gardening columns for a Japanese magazine, and the message
was entirely innocent.

Peter Trei
Senior Software Engineer
Purveyor Development Team