1995-07-12 - Re: QED_jak

Header Data

From: hardin@cyberspace.com
To: perry@imsi.com
Message Hash: 969425b4a2d0d8e27661dc26a76b3519bf10343c4a25d2115633e6941332358f
Message ID: <9507122009.AA0581@localhost>
Raw Date: Wed, 12 Jul 95 13:13:15 PDT

Raw message

From: hardin@cyberspace.com
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 95 13:13:15 PDT
To: perry@imsi.com
Subject: Re: QED_jak

Perry Metzger writes:

> John Young writes:
> >    "U.S. Tells How It Found Soviets Sought A-Bomb: Discloses
> >    Clues That Led to Code-Breaking."

[snip]
> The reports claimed the spys were using one time pads in some flawed
> manner, but did not explain very well what the problem was. Does
> anyone out there know?
>
> .pm

A real good book with a fair amount of details is Peter Wright's great
book "Spycatcher". The clueless media concentrated on Wright's allegation
that Sir Roger Hollis, head of MI5 was a Soviet mole or the "5th Man"
of the Philby, Burgess, Maclean & Blunt spyring. Now Wright may have been
in Jesus Angleton's psychotic "wilderness of mirrors" too long, but he
did a lot of bugging & stuff w/ GCHQ & he spends a great deal of his book
talking about precisely the Venona decrypts. Briefly there was some reuse
of "one time pads". He gives a fair amount of detail, & I suspect this is
why HRM Govt. was so displeased, the supposed "embarrassment" of the
allegations against long dead Sir Roger being just a cover story & much
easier for the tabloids & general public to understand.

tjh

This is 1/713 of PGP262i DOS Executable Zipfile UUE'd
Violate the Un-Constitutional ITAR Today!
Get YOUR chunk @ web site below.

M@UIXP9EW\".^Q0XL1SO8"^*_O:U-=H(P&2,1A6YHB?KP@@H2/)$+P@-<PX_(
MPTGLPBHDHSW<(,<O,D$XB'2TA`HQ4D'H@R#<)[Z3*D$P80%N*8D1:Q6"T`\J
M/*/<G_$-/L9&%#L)P@HD82`ZHPG4$%#L*`A7D8M#F(/>"($GRAT$8246(Q:3