1995-07-17 - Re: speeding detected by civilians

Header Data

From: sdw@lig.net (Stephen D. Williams)
To: roger@coelacanth.com (Roger Williams)
Message Hash: 9fefdac296ee41cec8c7369c7c67f9017399290d12b08e94b652fac159cd6789
Message ID: <m0sXuVC-0009tMC@sdwsys>
Reply To: <rogerohyxp80a.fsf@sturgeon.coelacanth.com>
UTC Datetime: 1995-07-17 17:18:29 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 17 Jul 95 10:18:29 PDT

Raw message

From: sdw@lig.net (Stephen D. Williams)
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 95 10:18:29 PDT
To: roger@coelacanth.com (Roger Williams)
Subject: Re: speeding detected by civilians

> In article <3u4g3t$pn8@nntp.crl.com> Buzz@static.noise.net (Buzz White) writes:
>
>    >> Vernon Hills, Illinois, a Chicago suburb, has passed legislation allowing
>    >> citizens to check out radar guns from the local police department to
>    >> catch speeders in their community. The radar guns are combined with
>    >> cameras in order to instantaneously capture the car, license number, and the
>    >> rate of speed. The citizens can check out the units for a week at a time. The
>    >> police have stated that they, at this time, will use the data to issue
>    >> warning letters to the violaters.
>
>    Can they use them to bust COPS that speed?   Heh heh.
>
> If Vernon Hills has any citizens left with spines, you can bet that
> the local police are going to start to get a couple hundred pictures
> of cop cars per week... Hell, I'll bet that I could take that many
> by *myself* :)

I'm absolutely dying to do that with cops around here (N.VA/Tysons) area...

I got a ticket at 2:30 AM while my car was on cruise at 55MPH, almost
no hills, guy said he 'paced' me for about a mile doing 70 2-3 miles
before he stopped me, yet he was too lazy to use his radar...
I paid $40 and spent a few hours getting an officially certified
speedometer test, etc.

Still trying to go to court: first date was for July 3rd, which they
decided at the last minute to take as vacation, told me to appear
July 5th, when I found out that the continuance was for Aug 9.  (For
a June 5th or so ticket.

After 50 calls to the court house trying to get through, I found out
that the officers don't even have to turn in paperwork unless I don't
pay the bond and then they just turn it in 4-5 days before the court
date.

The parking meter at the courthouse was fraudulent (20 min for my $.25 for
30 min fee), and I've noted numerous speeding and illegal Uturns, parking
in active roadway's without lights, etc. offences by local police...

sdw

> --
> Roger Williams  --  Coelacanth Engineering  --  Middleborough, Mass

sdw
--
Stephen D. Williams 25Feb1965 VW,OH (FBI ID) sdw@lig.net http://www.lig.net/sdw
Consultant, Vienna,VA Mar95- 703-918-1491W 43392 Wayside Cir.,Ashburn, VA 22011

Thread