1995-07-21 - Today’s Internet discussion on Science Friday

Header Data

From: stewarts@ix.netcom.com (Bill Stewart)
To: scifri@npr.org
Message Hash: a2b3d9fb2e15478ac08b46f77198be3c6cca98fc4ab2e416a0b517bc35418c3b
Message ID: <199507211916.MAA18932@ix6.ix.netcom.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 21 Jul 95 12:18:19 PDT

Raw message

From: stewarts@ix.netcom.com (Bill Stewart)
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 95 12:18:19 PDT
To: scifri@npr.org
Subject: Today's Internet discussion on Science Friday

Hi!  I just saw that you'd be discussing the Exon Censorship Bill
discussion on today's Science Friday on Talk of The Nation; I found out
from a mailing list on the Internet, and had time to tune in,
but not enough advance warning to attack-dial and become the one lucky
caller who actually got on :-)

You picked a well-balanced set of interviewees; I was a bit disappointed
by the time balance between discussion and callers.  It would also be
nice if you extended the on-line discussion to the Internet as well as
the commercial services AOL and Compuserve, since that extends the collection
of people who can be involved in the discussion.

[Summary for list-folk - the speakers were Bruce Taylor of National Law Center
for Children and Families (sounds like a Pat Robertson thing), Dan Weitzner
of CDT,
and Larry Maggoth(sp?) who wrote the Child Safety on the Info Superhighway
pamphlet.
Larry led off, Taylor dominated the discussions, Weitzner mostly wimped out.
Everybody agreed that there's obscenity on the Internet if you want to find it,
and that it's great that we have obscenity laws to punish Bad People and
Protect Kids;
Rimm's bogus numbers weren't discussed, the indecency-vs-obscenity was starting
to be discussed but got cut off by time.]
#---
#                                Thanks;  Bill
# Bill Stewart, Freelance Information Architect, stewarts@ix.netcom.com
# Phone +1-510-247-0664 Pager/Voicemail 1-408-787-1281

Thread