1995-07-12 - Re: Q E D_j a k

Header Data

From: stewarts@ix.netcom.com (Bill Stewart)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: aa6639c9f79d1ed409394c1d048c1badb293481e5f051b7a8d503e7f75fa8365
Message ID: <199507121947.MAA28807@ix5.ix.netcom.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 12 Jul 95 12:49:09 PDT

Raw message

From: stewarts@ix.netcom.com (Bill Stewart)
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 95 12:49:09 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Q E D_j a k

>      The American intelligence establishment today unveiled
>      one of its oldest secrets: how a small team of
>      codebreakers found the first clues that the Soviet Union
>      sought to steal the blueprints for the atomic bomb in

Wow!  They must really be looking for some good publicity these days.
I wonder how much of their motivation is to get PR support for the
black budget, and how much is to support continued crypto export laws?

After all, if the Evil Foreigners had good crypto, the NSA wouldn't
have been able to crack their codes, so therefore it's _vital_ to
_national_security_ that we continue these great laws that are keeping
good crypto securely locked up inside the US borders!

(Yes, I know one-time-pads are provably good crypto, but they also
depend on the security of key distribution and one-time use,
which apparently broke down here.  And the CIA's pretty good at
chasing the guy with briefcases of code material handcuffed to their arms.)

Watch for more pressure from the Administration....
#                                Thanks;  Bill
# Bill Stewart, Freelance Information Architect, stewarts@ix.netcom.com

Thread