1995-07-21 - Plan9 press release followup

Header Data

From: bostic@CS.Berkeley.EDU (Keith Bostic)
To: stripes@va.pubnix.com
Message Hash: b21a31dbd133d3fb8b943013bbd02ff685e49d874a5057e94e6a4f6142f6fd89
Message ID: <199507211504.LAA21881@python.bostic.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 21 Jul 95 08:05:21 PDT

Raw message

From: bostic@CS.Berkeley.EDU (Keith Bostic)
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 95 08:05:21 PDT
To: stripes@va.pubnix.com
Subject: Plan9 press release followup

It's been pointed out to me that the recent Plan 9 article does
not match the licensing agreement.  Nobody has any idea why the
speaker didn't understand that the software community is likely
to react badly to the phrase "any changes they make will become
AT&T's property", but there is a rumor that they *may* have been
a lawyer.  ;-}

As I understand it, the license is roughly as follows:

    + For $350, you get copies of the complete source and binaries
      for Plan 9.  You can make this copy available internally to your
      company, i.e. NFS is okay as long as it's not on the Internet.
    + You agree to not resell it or provide a product or service based
      on it without reaching an agreement with AT&T first.
    + You agree that if you create a derivative work, you will license
      it to AT&T on a royalty-free basis.  (I'm also told that some of
      the wording means that hardware specific things are excluded).

There's nothing about modifications becoming the property of AT&T.

The license is on the Web at http://plan9.att.com/plan9/shrink.html.

--keith

Thread