1995-07-11 - Re: Don’t trust the net too much

Header Data

From: rfreeman@netaxs.com (Richard Freeman)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: b2e9452b571c67ebdf5f22b643ae7986f5876da9c910fdc2bfa1aba1d182c6cd
Message ID: <199507112312.TAA19079@access.netaxs.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 11 Jul 95 16:12:14 PDT

Raw message

From: rfreeman@netaxs.com (Richard Freeman)
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 95 16:12:14 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Don't trust the net too much

Adam Shostack <adam@bwh.harvard.edu> wrote:

>	I hate to join any thread which talks about blowing up rooms
>and killing security guards, but I'll point out that for a few
>hundered dollars worth of transmitter parts, you can cause transient
>failures with EMF pulse weapons, and for a bit more, you can fry all
>the electronics, then drive away before they have any idea that their
>company has been destroyed.
>
>	Killing people is a stupid way to accomplish things.

I would have to agree, and since this whole thread seems to be one of those
conspiracy things, it is completely unnecessary to cause much at all in the
way of physical damage.  No matter who rents the T1 lines and other forms of
communication that unite an ISP with the rest of the world, sooner or later
they have to enter some sort of communications node.  This could be a
satellite or some huge telephone routing center, or any number of things.
If the government wanted you shut down, all they have to do is find one of
these things for each redundant line to an ISP and cut them all
simultaneously.  I am sure a court order could be obtained very quickly to
arrange such a thing, and even this may not be necessary.  I read in some
magazine about ten years ago that all US-launched communications satellites
contain software that allows the government to ascertain direct control over
their functioning.  The purpose stated was that in the event of war the US
is highly dependent on commercial satellites for non-military communications
and can not afford to have the Soviets (or whatever foreign power) trying to
reprogram our satellites utilizing security loopholes on the part of the
owning company.  In any case, unless the ISP is actually expecting some
terrorist group to attack their center and has taken deliberate steps to
protect themselves (an absurdly expensive proposition for just about anyone
except the military), I doubt there is much that could prevent even a
private citizen from taking them out, let alone a well-organized group.
Richard T. Freeman <rfreeman@netaxs.com> - finger for pgp key
3D CB AF BD FF E8 0B 10 4E 09 27 00 8D 27 E1 93
http://www.netaxs.com/~rfreeman - ftp.netaxs.com/people/rfreeman

Thread