1995-07-29 - what the military does and why (re: cryptography)

Header Data

From: fc@all.net (Dr. Frederick B. Cohen)
To: alanh@infi.net (Alan Horowitz)
Message Hash: c147383d2303fc839a7563b13140b49fd1960bb834a94fb01dcc051f693fedde
Message ID: <9507291535.AA04463@all.net>
Reply To: <Pine.3.89.9507291033.A29947-0100000@larry>
UTC Datetime: 1995-07-29 15:41:42 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 29 Jul 95 08:41:42 PDT

Raw message

From: fc@all.net (Dr. Frederick B. Cohen)
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 95 08:41:42 PDT
To: alanh@infi.net (Alan Horowitz)
Subject: what the military does and why (re: cryptography)

> > 	The DoD does use cryptography extensively, but only to protect
> > information worthy of the real costs and complexities
>
>       Another interlocutor whose knowledge of military traffic comes from
>       watching Hollywood movies/TV shows.  Or, maybe he even has access to
>       high-level briefings - and believes everything that is said.
>
>       Doc, you might find it instructive to spend a tour in the real world
>       of the military.

Perhaps if you reviewed the material on which my comments are based, you
would have a different opinion, and perhaps not, but to make your
comment based on an apparent lack of knowledge of the basis for my
opinions indicates both a lack of willingness to spend the necessary
effort checking before you make such statements and a lack of desire to
engage in more than rank speculation.

To get an idea of the basis for my comments, you might start by reading
some of my writings and look through the citations I use as a basis for
my opinions.  If you would like a reading list, look under Management
Analytics in my W3 site:

--
-> See: Info-Sec Heaven at URL http://all.net
Management Analytics - 216-686-0090 - PO Box 1480, Hudson, OH 44236

Thread