1995-07-25 - Re: Three strikes you’re out! for politicians… yeah we wish!

Header Data

From: Scott Brickner <sjb@austin.ibm.com>
To: craig@passport.ca (Craig Hubley)
Message Hash: dbcdf7160e6324c036ae225d983fcfdaa2ceb737f0fd7eb50b073ea16246183e
Message ID: <9507251610.AA16331@ozymandias.austin.ibm.com>
Reply To: <m0sZZTz-001Bg4C@passport.ca>
UTC Datetime: 1995-07-25 16:11:10 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 25 Jul 95 09:11:10 PDT

Raw message

From: Scott Brickner <sjb@austin.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 95 09:11:10 PDT
To: craig@passport.ca (Craig Hubley)
Subject: Re: Three strikes you're out! for politicians... yeah we wish!

In message <m0sZZTz-001Bg4C@passport.ca> Craig Hubley writes:
>Any time the Supreme Court strikes down a law, any politician who has been
>found to have voted in favor of three such laws is immediately stripped of
>all offices and rendered ineligible to run for public office ever again,
>at any level.

This might be nice, but questions of "upsetting the system of checks
and balances" aside, you can't do it.  It would violate Article I,
Section 6 of the Constitution, which says that "for any speech or
debate in either House, [the Senators and Representatives] shall not be
questioned in any other place".  "Speech or debate" would cover the
vote on any question.

Therefore, the only organization which can hold a
senator/representative liable for passing a bad law is the one which
passed the law. :(

Thread