1995-07-15 - Re: Anti-Electronic Racketeering Act of 1995 (fwd)

Header Data

From: Carl Ellison <cme@TIS.COM>
To: bal@martigny.ai.mit.edu
Message Hash: ff6c20e7209ce6b27b0e76a47f5fe0d11f5ac99a8b6dd71d23c7215ff6b22ed3
Message ID: <9507142327.AA10694@tis.com>
Reply To: <199507141952.MAA06381@comsec.com>
UTC Datetime: 1995-07-15 00:23:05 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 14 Jul 95 17:23:05 PDT

Raw message

From: Carl Ellison <cme@TIS.COM>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 95 17:23:05 PDT
To: bal@martigny.ai.mit.edu
Subject: Re: Anti-Electronic Racketeering Act of 1995 (fwd)

>Date: Wed, 12 Jul 95 18:20:07 -0400
>From: "Brian A. LaMacchia" <bal@martigny.ai.mit.edu>

>Finally, we begin to see the attack on all forms of un-escrowed
>encryption.  The bill provides an affirmable defense of
>giving the keys to the government ahead of time!
>
>       `(c) It shall be an affirmative defense to prosecution under this
>     section that the software at issue used a universal decoding device
>     or program that was provided to the Department of Justice prior to
>     the distribution.'.

This isn't escrowed encryption being allowed here.  This is straight giving
of keys (or a back door) to the gov't.  Even Clipper fails this test.

 - Carl

Thread