1995-08-26 - Auto-pgp for pine/elm/tin (fwd)

Header Data

From: “P.J. Ponder” <ponder@wane-leon-mail.scri.fsu.edu>
To: hfarkas@ims.advantis.com
Message Hash: 15d1c31bd5bc63cebac43179836f0d07a5041fce9ee69daef6b6f1c66fc6ea64
Message ID: <Pine.3.89.9508252137.H2413-0100000@wane3.scri.fsu.edu>
Raw Date: Fri, 25 Aug 95 18:53:06 PDT

Raw message

From: "P.J. Ponder" <ponder@wane-leon-mail.scri.fsu.edu>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 95 18:53:06 PDT
To: hfarkas@ims.advantis.com
Subject: Auto-pgp for pine/elm/tin (fwd)

In Garfinkel's book, he talks about the risks of running PGP on a
multiuser system where others (sys. admins, eg) have higher levels of
authority than you do.  I have PGP installed on my pc and if I want to
use it, I can save the message in ascii, then upload it to the server
where I have my Internet account, then mail it.  maybe not entirely
transparent, but at least it seems to me that the convenience of running
it on the server with something like Mr. Wilcox's BAP is not worth the
added risk.  Besides, how often do you need to use it?
--
pjp