1995-08-29 - Re: Florida Drivers Permits and a Hello

Header Data

From: Brad Dolan <bdolan@use.usit.net>
To: Dave <d-jones@ix.netcom.com>
Message Hash: 17a34ee492237e54be769bb8d2dba3681de48e65651a9330cc6928cfb4c54164
Message ID: <Pine.SOL.3.91.950829165337.3285A-100000@use.usit.net>
Reply To: <199508291933.MAA22876@ix3.ix.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1995-08-29 21:01:51 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 29 Aug 95 14:01:51 PDT

Raw message

From: Brad Dolan <bdolan@use.usit.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 95 14:01:51 PDT
To: Dave <d-jones@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Florida Drivers Permits and a Hello

And somebody, Science Applications International Corp. I think, is
designing an in-car fingerprint reader / database query-er for cops.  So
they can check your bona fides on the road sides.

bd

On Tue, 29 Aug 1995, Dave wrote:

> >What possible value could the LEAs get by having your thumbprint digitally
> >encoded on your driver's license?  It's not like the average cop-on-the-beat
> >is qualified to lift a fingerprint and compare it.  Even if he was, how
> >does it benefit that the fingerprint is on the license?
> >
> >This seems silly.
>
> There are device that will electronicly read fingerprints available now.  So
> with such a device, the LEO would know instantly if you were who you said
> that you were.

Thread