1995-08-24 - Re: e$: The Book-Entry/Certificate Distinction

Header Data

From: Jiri Baum <jirib@sweeney.cs.monash.edu.au>
To: stevenw@iglou.com (Steven Weller)
Message Hash: 1e619d195a8e042cfa079fa4dc365459218972b511bece58961928dac466c202
Message ID: <199508240241.MAA07578@sweeney.cs.monash.edu.au>
Reply To: <v01520d06ac6060379f25@[199.171.88.71]>
UTC Datetime: 1995-08-24 02:43:22 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 23 Aug 95 19:43:22 PDT

Raw message

From: Jiri Baum <jirib@sweeney.cs.monash.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 95 19:43:22 PDT
To: stevenw@iglou.com (Steven Weller)
Subject: Re: e$: The Book-Entry/Certificate Distinction

Hello rah@shipwright.com (Robert Hettinga)
  and stevenw@iglou.com (Steven Weller)
  and cypherpunks@toad.com

[certificates have their own inherent worth etc]

> In such a system, where does credit come in? If I have a certificate that
> is worth X, then does the recipient know that it's from my "credit card"?
> How do I obtain credit, and in what form does it exist?

There's no reason for the recipient to know it's from your credit card.
You simply obtain cash from your bank as a loan and then give it to
the recipient.

If you want to provide the convenience of CC (ie avoid having to go to
the ATM first), you could allow wallets to communicate with the bank
via the merchant's equipment, in effect building an ATM into every
point-of-sale terminal.

wallet via merchant to bank: withdraw X from account Y
bank via merchant to wallet: here is X in e-cash
wallet to merchant: here is X in e-cash

If you do not wish the bank to know which merchant it was, you could send
it via an anonymizing service or two.

> Furthermore, how do we assess the value of real physical things in a system
> like this?

Well, same as in any other system: "how much are you willing to give me
for this?"

Jiri
--
If you want an answer, please mail to <jirib@cs.monash.edu.au>.
On sweeney, I may delete without reading!

Thread