1995-08-01 - Re: U.S. Banks are not all that bad

Header Data

From: Scott Brickner <sjb@austin.ibm.com>
To: cman@communities.com (Douglas Barnes)
Message Hash: 31e547f6cefdee39ad73445b02cebd98a4d34d11f73dd41c75b8d293d352b5e2
Message ID: <9508011938.AA12258@ozymandias.austin.ibm.com>
Reply To: <v02120d01ac4219a2e38e@[199.2.22.120]>
UTC Datetime: 1995-08-01 19:48:25 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 1 Aug 95 12:48:25 PDT

Raw message

From: Scott Brickner <sjb@austin.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 95 12:48:25 PDT
To: cman@communities.com (Douglas Barnes)
Subject: Re: U.S. Banks are not all that bad

Douglas Barnes writes:
>At First Interstate recently, I had to make a withdrawal from
>the teller, as the ATM was broken. Their policy _does_
>reqiure a "counter check", and normally they charge, but when
>I explained that the ATM was kaput they did it for free.
>It is _much_ cheaper for them if you use the ATM, and this
>kind of policy is designed to encourage you to do this. It's
>the kind of thing that the market will sort out nicely --
>if it irritates people and loses them money more than it
>saves them money, they will stop doing it.

Sure they're happier if you use the ATM.  It costs them less
per transaction, plus they *charge* you to use the damn thing.
How many people do you think would put up with $1.00 or $1.25
to do a transaction at a human teller?  Most banks charge about
that much for "foreign" (other than those they own) ATM use.
Some even charge that much for *all* ATM use if you don't get
the "premium" accounts.

Thread