1995-08-14 - Re: Data Secrecy Rift

Header Data

From: futplex@pseudonym.com (Futplex)
Message Hash: 57016a66193e5945a631cf85cb835f5fd2bb018a5e953421b3ab9a1de76374f4
Message ID: <9508141346.AA22758@cs.umass.edu>
Reply To: <199508141329.JAA02054@pipe4.nyc.pipeline.com>
UTC Datetime: 1995-08-14 13:47:09 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 14 Aug 95 06:47:09 PDT

Raw message

From: futplex@pseudonym.com (Futplex)
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 95 06:47:09 PDT
Subject: Re: Data Secrecy Rift

John Markoff writes:
>    In a letter sent to the Vice President last Thursday, eight
>    executives, including James Treybig, chairman of Tandem
>    Computers Inc.; Gil F. Amelio, chairman of the National
>    Semiconductor Corporation; Edward McCracken, chairman of
>    Silicon Graphics Inc.; Eugene Shanks Jr. president of the
>    Bankers Trust New York Corporation, which conducts
>    international electronic commerce, and Stephen T. Walker,
>    chairman of Trusted Information Systems, urged that the
>    Government immediately establish a new standard to control
>    the export of technology that is used to encode
>    communications, so that outsiders cannot tap in.

This doesn't say very much. What sort of "new standard" for crypto export
control did they urge ?  Also, if you'll pardon my naivete, how does TIS
stand to benefit from such restrictions ?

-Futplex <futplex@pseudonym.com>

Thread