1995-08-21 - Re: NEXT CHALLENGE: plan of action?

Header Data

From: Ian Goldberg <iagoldbe@calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca>
To: aba@atlas.ex.ac.uk
Message Hash: 5f9fd598bfa6928c4ba76a6277fe402a090c6a789ed3932e9b3566939730dc43
Message ID: <199508211751.NAA17649@calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca>
Reply To: <25403.9508211621@exe.dcs.exeter.ac.uk>
UTC Datetime: 1995-08-21 18:19:20 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 21 Aug 95 11:19:20 PDT

Raw message

From: Ian Goldberg <iagoldbe@calum.csclub.uwaterloo.ca>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 95 11:19:20 PDT
To: aba@atlas.ex.ac.uk
Subject: Re: NEXT CHALLENGE: plan of action?

> I read on Saturday Ian Goldbergs post about starting out on the
> challenge using Damiens code.
>
> It doesn't matter a great deal which code is used as such, but the
> main thing is to ensure that this is a coordinated effort.  The aim of
> the challenge (which I requested and Hal kindly provided just before
> popping off for a week or so's holiday) was to see how fast a SSL
> challenge could be broken.  Not how *soon*, note the distinction.
>
> That means that if for instance we count the time that Ian has been
> clocking up since Saturday, the real time will be slowed by approx 2
> days.  We really need to do this with a starting-line like affair, so
> that someone is running a server, and everyone gets the code compiled
> etc, and then the server starts offering the challenge and all the
> clients fire off.
>
> That way we have a less straggly start up which makes for better
> bruteing figures.
>
> Agreed so far?

Sorry I missed the fast/soon distinction.  I've stopped the search after
searching keys starting with 0xaf down to 0xa5, and will join the group
search after I get settled in after moving to Berkeley tomorrow.  I
encourage the people who pointed their clients at me (thanks!) to stop
them, and to join the group.

In the interests of not adding a few days to the time, we should ignore
the fact that a bit of the keyspace has already been searched, and
start again.

   - Ian "On your marks, get set, ..."

Thread