1995-08-04 - IPng6, SWIPE, ssh, etc.

Header Data

From: sdw@lig.net (Stephen D. Williams)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 60a781ebaab3c18e5482a0b94d9e1f2008930fb8de4450ada3c2dbb751851c15
Message ID: <m0seRLR-0009yuC@sdwsys>
Raw Date: Fri, 4 Aug 95 11:20:20 PDT

Raw message

From: sdw@lig.net (Stephen D. Williams)
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 95 11:20:20 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: IPng6, SWIPE, ssh, etc.

I would like some summary opinions of the state of various efforts to
enable full IP encryption.  I'm looking for progress reports and hints
as to which technologies are the closest to being implementable.

After playing with ssh, I've been thinking of what it would take to
start migrating certain links to full encryption, possibly using a
VPN-like arrangement.

I'm interested in hacking Linux, loopback userspace drivers for other Unix's,
and thinking about what would need to be done for MS-BLECH.  Of course,
firewall like conversion of IP<->IPng6 would be great.

Of course now that Linux has IP aliasing, IP masquerading (partial I think),
ipfw, and IP over IP tunneling, it has much of what it needs.  I'm just
considering development and migration paths.

I haven't kept up on IPng6 docs, so succinct pointers would be helpful.

One interesting tact might be to start running a dual IPng6/IP stack
where it learns to tunnel packets over a well-known IP udp/tcp link
if an address doesn't respond to IPng6.

sdw
--
Stephen D. Williams 25Feb1965 VW,OH (FBI ID) sdw@lig.net http://www.lig.net/sdw
Consultant, Vienna,VA Mar95- 703-918-1491W 43392 Wayside Cir.,Ashburn, VA 22011

Thread