1995-08-17 - Re: FBI Files on Clipper Release

Header Data

From: futplex@pseudonym.com (Futplex)
Message Hash: 709b0d2b473179b197e3ca5e3dd43284320c33efb7d68e9423460052f5e87a0b
Message ID: <9508170022.AA19096@cs.umass.edu>
Reply To: <n1403533785.38465@epic.org>
UTC Datetime: 1995-08-17 00:22:17 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 16 Aug 95 17:22:17 PDT

Raw message

From: futplex@pseudonym.com (Futplex)
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 95 17:22:17 PDT
Subject: Re: FBI Files on Clipper Release

Dave Banisar quotes FBI documents obtained via the FOIA:
>      Technical solutions, such as they are, will only work if
>      they are incorporated into *all* encryption products.
>      To ensure that this occurs, legislation mandating the
>      use of Government-approved encryption products or
>      adherence to Government encryption criteria is required.

...meanwhile...
> Testifying before a Senate Judiciary
> Subcommittee on May 3, 1994, Assistant Attorney General Jo Ann
> Harris asserted that:
>
>      As the Administration has made clear on a number of
>      occasions, the key-escrow encryption initiative is a
>      voluntary one; we have absolutely no intention of
>      mandating private use of a particular kind of
>      cryptography, nor of criminalizing the private use of
>      certain kinds of cryptography.

By exactly what mechanism are appointed (hired ?) officials such as AAG Harris
supposedly accountable to the public ?  Can they be brought up on perjury
charges ?  Just what real legal recourse do we have against lying scum in the
bureaucracy ?  Are we stuck unless we can get some Congresscritter to cry
foul on the floor of the House or Senate ?

-Futplex <futplex@pseudonym.com>
"you said too much; and what you said, it was a lie" -EMF

Thread