1995-08-03 - Re: Object Oriented Crypto API

Header Data

From: Adam Shostack <adam@bwh.harvard.edu>
To: hfinney@shell.portal.com (Hal)
Message Hash: ab8a290b9a5530d4b3f62b1e91911a8cc5aa2216fd82a7ad63b343eb25156f8d
Message ID: <199508031821.OAA05692@bwnmr5.bwh.harvard.edu>
Reply To: <199508031625.JAA11761@jobe.shell.portal.com>
UTC Datetime: 1995-08-03 18:22:19 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 3 Aug 95 11:22:19 PDT

Raw message

From: Adam Shostack <adam@bwh.harvard.edu>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 95 11:22:19 PDT
To: hfinney@shell.portal.com (Hal)
Subject: Re: Object Oriented Crypto API

| I enjoyed Ray's message about the crypto library interface.  I haven't
| had time to study it closely, but I have a couple of quick comments:

	I thought it was very well done as well, with one ommission,
other than the one Hal noted.  There should be a compress function,
becuase messages should be compressed before encryption takes place.

	Giving the library a zip() call also makes it possible to
suggest the library in more circumstances.  When people ask 'where can
I snarf some compression code?' we can point them to a library that
does strong crypto as well.

Adam

					               -Hume

Thread