1995-08-30 - Re: CIA & Espionage

Header Data

From: Black Unicorn <unicorn@access.digex.net>
To: Hadmut Danisch <danisch@ira.uka.de>
Message Hash: adc72b2358dc2248612e12b72fee6fb88e81a1809de4e6468726265db803d717
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.91.950830145316.6286B-100000@access5.digex.net>
Reply To: <9508301246.AA14561@elysion.iaks.ira.uka.de>
UTC Datetime: 1995-08-30 18:56:15 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 30 Aug 95 11:56:15 PDT

Raw message

From: Black Unicorn <unicorn@access.digex.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 95 11:56:15 PDT
To: Hadmut Danisch <danisch@ira.uka.de>
Subject: Re: CIA & Espionage

On Wed, 30 Aug 1995, Hadmut Danisch wrote:

> Date: Wed, 30 Aug 1995 14:46:23 +0200
> From: Hadmut Danisch <danisch@ira.uka.de>
> To: cypherpunks@toad.com
> Subject: CIA & Espionage
>
> In a german weekly news magazine (Focus 34/1995, p. 178-181) I read an
> article about industrial espionage. It is said that the secret
> services have lost their main task when the east/west cold war had
> gone. Their new task is the industrial espionage. The russian, french,
> and american services were referenced in the article.
>
> It was said that Pres. Clinton had given a speech while visiting the
> CIA HQ in Langley/Virginia. He allegedly said in this speech that obtaining
> industrial informations has the highest priority and this were the new
> task for the spies.
>
> Can anyone confirm the quotation?

Yes.

I've been told the same thing.  Moreover, I believe the quotation, not
because of the source of confirmation, but because it fits right into the
direction most of the intelligence agencies have been taking since the
revelation that the French had won out a multi-billion $ contract for air
traffic control because the French service had, through various espionage
methods, determined the U.S. bidding position and such.

Sorry I can't give attributation for the confirmation.

> Hadmut

00B9289C28DC0E55 nemo repente fuit turpissimus - potestas scientiae in usu est
E16D5378B81E1C96 quaere verum ad infinitum, loquitur sub rosa    -    wichtig!
*New Key Information*    -    Finger for key revocation and latest key update.

Thread