1995-08-02 - “The Net”

Header Data

From: tcmay@sensemedia.net (Timothy C. May)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: cba792ec6a4984a6339d0c9c27a32b149975ff12a0b0acc77a38184be744a900
Message ID: <ac45406918021004a6b0@[205.199.118.202]>
Raw Date: Wed, 2 Aug 95 14:56:54 PDT

Raw message

From: tcmay@sensemedia.net (Timothy C. May)
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 95 14:56:54 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: "The Net"

I saw "The Net" yesterday and was moderately entertained. Lots of leaps of
logic, especially the notion that one can be "vanished" by having computer
records changed--I can believe that such changes would screw things up, but
surely even the character played by Sandra Bullock (nicely) would have
human friends and associates to vouch for her.

The portrayal of her job as a "beta tester," with a couple of Mac screens
running and lots of MacTCP connections, was well done. In fact, maybe the
most interesting look at computer screens I've seen. (But maybe I'm
biased...)

The cheesy climax, involving a computer virus, was especially egregious.
But tension has to be gotten somehow, I suppose, and most moviegoers will
not be terribly excited by the "real stuff." All in all, some good tension.

If this was the film I advised a woman screenwriter/researcher about (the
"vanishing" part she was asking me for tips on, 18 months ago), I sure
couldn't seen any influence of my ideas, or those of Cypherpunks. (I have
her name written down somewhere, but the two official screenwriters were
both male...still, I have a hunch she was doing background research for
them.)

Ironically, I saw a second movie the same day..."Under Siege II." It had a
lot of crypto, as well. Things like "Going secure" on cellphone
conversations with the Arabs purchasing the terrorist actions.

--The Praetorian
                                                           ----
                                                          | PI |
                                                           ----

tcmay@sensemedia.net   | anonymous networks, digital pseudonyms, zero
408-728-0152           | knowledge, reputations, information markets,
Corralitos, CA         | black markets, collapse of governments.
Higher Power: 2^756839 | Public Key: PGP and MailSafe available.