1995-08-27 - Re: Greetings

Header Data

From: Piete Brooks <Piete.Brooks@cl.cam.ac.uk>
To: dr261@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Tobin T Fricke)
Message Hash: d5f331517f512158605975bad8e7a5adb39cfbf251b043871a7e5727547987c4
Message ID: <“swan.cl.cam.:183500:950827074128”@cl.cam.ac.uk>
Reply To: <199508270626.CAA00589@kanga.INS.CWRU.Edu>
UTC Datetime: 1995-08-27 07:41:51 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 27 Aug 95 00:41:51 PDT

Raw message

From: Piete Brooks <Piete.Brooks@cl.cam.ac.uk>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 95 00:41:51 PDT
To: dr261@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Tobin T Fricke)
Subject: Re: Greetings

> going on, I am led to beleive that Cypherpunks is setting up
> a distributed system to break some cryptographic system or
> factor a large number.

See http://www.brute.cl.cam.ac.uk/brute/

We are trying to show that the US Govt' crippling iof exportable "secure"
protocols to 40 bits leaves them open to CRACKing by others than the NSA.

> I would expect that a constant net connection would be a requirement to
> participate in such an interesting event.

No -- that is the preferred way, but you can use a network connection
(WWW or direct socket) to get part of the address space to search,
process it offline, and then report back your findings later.

Thread