1995-08-14 - Re: My pseudo-anonymous dream list

Header Data

From: dochobbs@wwa.com (Michael D. Hobbs)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: d8084b0e3dca1f71158dfb18fcf848f2e35e0dcf43294a0569e80fddf43061a7
Message ID: <m0si5j5-000FcVC@miso.wwa.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 14 Aug 95 13:03:24 PDT

Raw message

From: dochobbs@wwa.com (Michael D. Hobbs)
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 95 13:03:24 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: My pseudo-anonymous dream list

Gary wrote,

	I would add a few more suggestions of my own to your wishlist.

	11)  Seamless integration with existing mail programs, such as Eudora.

what about...pine, pegasus, sendmail, airmail, news mail programs... I think
this
would be up to the individual user or for someone to develop the perfect pgp
mail program.

	12)  Notification that your message has been received (I'm not sure
how to
	do this and maintain anonymity)

I don't know either if you chain your mail before it gets to the nym server.
The idea of chaining is to keep the sender anonymous.  Maybe if the nym
server send mail to your reply block every time your alias and password are
used to send mail.  Though it would have to be something like "your alias has
sent mail to the following xxx@xxx.xxx.

	13)  Ability to handle very large encrypted files (binaries).

Why?  I think this would either

1) cripple the server from the load

2) make it easier to track back to the sender. If you are comparing 1 meg
files
   against 1000 byte files it would be much easier to filter out what you are
not
   looking for.

3) give anon mailers the reputation of porn/warez/church of scientology
document       distibuters and not privacy mailers which defeats some of the
things that are
   trying to get done.

	14)  Perhaps increasing security by breaking messages into several
parts,
	routing them through
	different chains, and reassembling them just prior to transmission to
recipient.

Ouch.  I think that would be hard to manage :)  Can you imagine thousands of
users
sending tens of thousands of messages a day and having more than one remailer
having
to keep track of hundreds of thousands of 'chunks' of mail.  That would start
resemble tcp/ip in complexity.

	Keep up the good work!

The concepts are good, I just don't think the implementation would be very
easy.
You should sign up on the nym server mailing list that was posted here a few
days ago if you are interested in pursuing these ideas.

dochobbs@wwa.com	M.D. Hobbs	mhobbs@rad.rpslmc.edu
http://miso.wwa.com/~dochobbs		finger for my pgp key
I am human and nothing human do I count alien.

Thread