1995-08-29 - “Virtuosity” – A New Movie

Header Data

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: dca23009b7ee4482bcb83ba62f800c6fecd9bc97709320cde82fe6136475c3e4
Message ID: <ac67c3a90a0210044096@[205.199.118.202]>
Raw Date: Tue, 29 Aug 95 11:49:45 PDT

Raw message

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 95 11:49:45 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: "Virtuosity" -- A New Movie

I make no apologies for this not being "on topic," where "on topic" is
defined as "coding in C." If you don't like my comments to our community,
you know how to filter out my messages.

I saw "Virtuosity" today, not expecting much. It's been called "a stinker"
by at least one reviewer. But I enjoyed it.

It had fairly impressive effects and fairly accurate treatments of:

-- "microlocators" (implantable localizers)

(The technology of which, in the real world, Bob Fleming and Cherie Kushner
described at the "Cypherpunks Santa Cruz" meeting/party at my place on
Saturday. By the way, the meeting was well-attended, with 22 attendees,
including Greg Broiles from Eugene, Oregon, Jeff Simmons from San Luis
Obispo, and a bunch of folks from the Santa Cruz area and Bay Area.)

-- nanotechnology...well done

-- genetic algorithms and evolving programs...very, very well done!

-- virtual reality...less well done, especially as it's been done before

There were a few disconnects, such as that the time for the movie seemed
only a few years in the future, and yet certain technologies were very far
advanced.

I was impressed, much more so than with "The Net" or other recent high-tech
movies. (I can' t wait for "Pulp Science Fiction"!)

For those who think this off-topic, "Man does not live by coding alone."

--Tim