1995-08-02 - Re: commerical busters

Header Data

From: Mike Bailey <bailey@computek.net>
To: WOOD@VAX2.ROCKHURST.EDU
Message Hash: df650f7fb422fab651d2b8814d018c022c90405bd9e0e488288b7f883c49a986
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.91.950801221937.3989K-100000@bambam.computek.net>
Reply To: <01HTK2WJPWYQ001IQN@VAX2.ROCKHURST.EDU>
UTC Datetime: 1995-08-02 03:17:52 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 1 Aug 95 20:17:52 PDT

Raw message

From: Mike Bailey <bailey@computek.net>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 95 20:17:52 PDT
To: WOOD@VAX2.ROCKHURST.EDU
Subject: Re: commerical busters

On Tue, 1 Aug 1995 WOOD@VAX2.ROCKHURST.EDU wrote:

>  ON: 31-JUL-1995 20:14:46.10, dan@netmarket.com wrote:
>
> > At 8:50 PM 07/31/95, Patrick May wrote:
> >
> > >     My dim memories from a project I did for Sony a couple of years
> > >ago are that commercials are separated by a fixed number of black
> > >frames and some, at least, have tracking information encoded so that
> > >advertisers can monitor how often they are played.  I'll try to dig up
> > >more info.
> >
> > From: dfitzpat@interserv.com
> >       Wednesday July 26, 1995 -- ShopTalk
> >
> > - --
> >
> > NEW VCRs TAKE ON COMMERCIALS POINT-BLANK
> >
> >                         By Jonathan Takiff
> >                Philadelphia Daily News Staff Writer
> >

> > Already besieged by Washington politicians over the content of TV
> > programming (and threats of a show-blocking chip), television
> > broadcasters are about to be hit with another whammy.  This time it's
> > VCRs that automatically blank out commercials.
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> > $$$$ $$$$$ $$$$
> >
>                                                             dan

I believe that they did something like this in Japan several years ago ...
I believe they sensed changes in the power output of the audio and also
looks for changes in the color outputs. The last I read on said they had
limited sucess with their methods.

-Mike

*       Mike Bailey                     (hm)214-252-3915                 *
*       AT&T Capital Corporation.       (wk)214-456-4510                 *
*       email bailey@computek.net       host bambam.computek.net         *
*   "Remember you can tune a piano but you can't tuna fish -Joe Walsh"   *
*                http://www.computek.net/public/bailey                   *