1995-08-17 - Re: SSL challenge – broken !

Header Data

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
To: “Harry S. Hawk” <habs@warwick.com>
Message Hash: ececdeef1ac9ca99da7a14ad62bdd90c8905e85f23c34c726b98676d8b081d0b
Message ID: <199508170946.CAA26868@ix5.ix.netcom.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 17 Aug 95 02:49:05 PDT

Raw message

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 95 02:49:05 PDT
To: "Harry S. Hawk" <habs@warwick.com>
Subject: Re: SSL challenge -- broken !

At 04:39 PM 8/16/95 -0500, you wrote:
>> I haven't seen any news stories about this on the wire
>> services. Someone would have to write a story about it first before
>> people would know...
>
>I've suggested this to a few reporters I know..

It's worth suggesting this _carefully_ so the spin's right.
For instance "Oh, no, Netscape lets Hackers suck all the money
out of your credit cards" would be bad :-)  On the other hand,
"The US Government's Evil Plans to block encryption are limiting
Netscape's export products to an encryption system already broken
by a French university.  This means you can send credit card numbers
safely to American web sites, but not to foreign ones - like the
airline or hotel reservations you were making for your vacation,
or those Irish handcrafts or bottle of Scotch you were ordering,
or that Hong Kong magazine you were subscribing to, or the CD from
that band in Budapest that had the great sound samples out there.
And when you were donating to that Amazon rainforest conservation
group, the NSA's arbitrary export rules may have just helped the
Colombian drug cartels rip off your credit card."
#---
#                                Thanks;  Bill
# Bill Stewart, Freelance Information Architect, stewarts@ix.netcom.com
# Phone +1-510-247-0664 Pager/Voicemail 1-408-787-1281
#---

	   "The fat man rocks out
	Hinges fall off Heaven's door
	   "Come on in," says Bill"    Wavy Gravy's haiku for Jerry

Thread