1995-08-10 - Re: Dir.Byway Virus (NewsClip)

Header Data

From: ab411@detroit.freenet.org (David R. Conrad)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: eded98253f00dd3014844180e81a7a1e1f071bcca2c6beea2640b174058433dc
Message ID: <199508101500.LAA20644@detroit.freenet.org>
Raw Date: Thu, 10 Aug 95 08:01:10 PDT

Raw message

From: ab411@detroit.freenet.org (David R. Conrad)
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 95 08:01:10 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Dir.Byway Virus (NewsClip)

turner@telecheck.com writes:
>Seems like a good-press piece for a small anti-viral software
>company.  Just one small pick to nit:

Actually, Dr. Sol's AVTK is consistently one of the very top DOS virus
scanners, in terms of percent of known viruses it catches.

>anonymous-remailer@shell.portal.com said:
>> Bitton said the company's "Dr. Solomon's Anti-Virus Toolkit" will
>> remove the virus from infected computers. New versions of the Toolkit
>> for DOS, Windows, OS/2, and NetWare are slated to ship in late
>> summer. S&S also plans Fall 1995 introductions of Toolkits for
>> Macintosh, SCO Unix, Windows 95, and Windows NT server and
>> workstations.
>
>Windows NT has an abstracted and object oriented design.  User mode
>programs no longer have access to the hardware (ie., you no longer
>have access to the boot sector, and cannot hook an interrupt).  In
>short, viruses are much less likely to function under NT, yet these
>blood-sucking people can't wait to introduce software for it...

I can't speak for S&S, but I'd bet that what they are introducing is
a scanner for archives of MS-DOS programs hosted on NT systems.
Although it may be that NT-specific viruses have started appearing.
(The restrictions on file access don't slow the spread of file
infectors all that much -- it's enough for them to infect those things
they have write permission for.  I think the good Dr. Cohen has done
some research on this?)

In any case, this is more appropriate for comp.virus than cpunks.

--
David R. Conrad, ab411@detroit.freenet.org, http://web.grfn.org/~conrad/
Finger conrad@grfn.org for PGP 2.6 public key; it's also on my home page

Thread