1995-08-29 - Re: SSL trouble

Header Data

From: Andrew Loewenstern <andrew_loewenstern@il.us.swissbank.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: ee495e2aca835edda5167778559c4100cb3a2072c81ff8a323d38ecc0dc1907c
Message ID: <9508291427.AA00854@ch1d157nwk>
Raw Date: Tue, 29 Aug 95 10:31:12 PDT

Raw message

From: Andrew Loewenstern <andrew_loewenstern@il.us.swissbank.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 95 10:31:12 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: SSL trouble

Bill Stewart writes:
>  The main failure mode seems to have been misconfigured clients
>  grabbing the single-threaded server for a long time; it may be
>  worth using a multi-threaded server, or alternatively a
>  single-threaded server that has a fast timeout for how long it will
>  talk to a client.

Single-user is just plain silly.  With a fast timeout you still have problems
with misconfigured clients hogging the server and legitimate clients that are
running a little slow will also have problems.  The server in the second
challenge did have a fast timeout (it was too fast to easily query the server
by hand, for instance) and it still wasn't adequate.  I can't imagine making
the timeout smaller.  multi-user is the only way to go...

andrew

Thread