1995-08-17 - Re: Cost to Crack Keys

Header Data

From: Jason Weisberger <jweis@primenet.com>
To: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Message Hash: f1f2acf63f0db7566016fd1c6d0742bb3b5eafdc18cda96daa7d2f5f01885146
Message ID: <199508171919.MAA19041@usr2.primenet.com>
Reply To: <ac58d999110210044b77@[205.199.118.202]>
UTC Datetime: 1995-08-17 19:19:37 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 17 Aug 95 12:19:37 PDT

Raw message

From: Jason Weisberger <jweis@primenet.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 95 12:19:37 PDT
To: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Subject: Re: Cost to Crack Keys

> But, Mark, estimates of the cost to crack a key _must_ be based on market
> prices, not on opportunistic access to machines. Such access is good for
> occasional, or one-shot, deals, but not for routine use.

Is it opportunistic access of machines, Tim, or simple use of available machines? I don't
think this kind of access is limited to one shot deals.  I've seen enough environments where
the cpu cycles to achieve these kinds of tasks (brute forcing keys) are available and  no one
is much going to care if it is done in a lowprofile manner.

> For example, one doesn't say "Hey, I don't see how Hertz can charge $40 a
> day to rent a car...my friend lets me use his for free."

Indeed - but what is the real market value of the cpu cycles needed to pull off the task at
hand? I think its far less than $10,000.00

> "Standard accounting practices" dictate the way to estimate production costs.

Thats like accepting the amortized value of an object as its real value. I don't think GAAP
really comes into play here...

Thread