1995-08-20 - Re: Netscape to copyright URLs?

Header Data

From: Lindsay Haisley <fmouse@fmp.com>
To: shamrock@netcom.com (Lucky Green)
Message Hash: fb35befb8efe056f25775f3bc50b08b73ce1fbe5bb8b7ef17fc4e4767e8596f5
Message ID: <199508202050.PAA19345@zoom.bga.com>
Raw Date: Sun, 20 Aug 95 13:50:44 PDT

Raw message

From: Lindsay Haisley <fmouse@fmp.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 95 13:50:44 PDT
To: shamrock@netcom.com (Lucky Green)
Subject: Re: Netscape to copyright URLs?

At 02:39 AM 8/20/95 -0400, you wrote:
>Today's surf of Netscape's home page yielded an interesting question. Is
>Netscape trying to licence links to their products? To me
>http://home.netscape.com/comprod/mirror/netscape_now_program.html seems to
>suggest tha you can only display certain logos and info if you are
>licensed by Netscape. You could for example not put up a link to their
>"Download Netscape NOW" page without prior approval by Netscape.
>
>This seems to be a new development on the web. Since when does one need a
>license to include certain URLs in one's home page?

The Netscape general info document specifically states ....

>Aside from the ftp mirrors we list on our home page, we do not allow
>redistribution of our software.  This means that it is not legal to put
>our software on your ftp server, nor to include it on disks you are
>distributing, although you're more than welcome to include a pointer to
>our home pages so that people can download the latest version for
>themselves.

They have specifically given permission here for links, at least to their
home pages, possibly even to other items such as a downloadable netscape.

                                  (______)
Lindsay Haisley                     (oo)        "The bull
FMP Computer Services         /------\/            stops here!"
fmouse@fmp.com               / |    ||
Austin, Texas, USA          *  ||---||
(512) 259-1190                 ~~   ~~