1995-09-25 - RSA/Cylink arbitration agreement on-line

Header Data

From: “Brian A. LaMacchia” <bal@martigny.ai.mit.edu>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 02e439ef1b7e3386183f09341372d98c0902912a4858d8da56e97db88084e5fe
Message ID: <199509251414.HAA29497@cygnus.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 25 Sep 95 10:05:14 PDT

Raw message

From: "Brian A. LaMacchia" <bal@martigny.ai.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 95 10:05:14 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: RSA/Cylink arbitration agreement on-line

[I haven't seen this mentioned yet on the list...]

Cylink has been kind enough to put a copy of the arbitration panel's
decision on their web page.  Cylink's home page is www.cylink.com.  The
URL for the actual agreement is:

	http://www.cylink.com/arbtrn_1.html

Spin doctors aside, it doesn't look like either company gained much over
the other.  I'm not an attorney, but the way I read the agreement RSAREF
can continue to be used without violating the Stanford patents.  RSA DSI
cannot *sublicense* the Stanford patents to third parties, but can *sell
code* that practices the methods claimed in the Stanford patents.  That
code can then be incorporated into other products, which is exactly what
PGP 2.6.2 does (it's linked against a copy of the RSAREF library, which
is covered by the RSAREF license agreement).

					--bal

Thread