1995-09-13 - Re: Digital Fingerprinting

Header Data

From: Brian Davis <bdavis@thepoint.net>
To: Peter Trei <trei@process.com>
Message Hash: 03895ebef73b58ba978ea7ffdebbe0594d7cd0a99b554ff7b3457a81f7f18aa8
Message ID: <Pine.D-G.3.91.950912175508.23949D-100000@dg.thepoint.net>
Reply To: <9509121745.AA19687@toad.com>
UTC Datetime: 1995-09-13 00:39:33 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 12 Sep 95 17:39:33 PDT

Raw message

From: Brian Davis <bdavis@thepoint.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 95 17:39:33 PDT
To: Peter Trei <trei@process.com>
Subject: Re: Digital Fingerprinting

On Tue, 12 Sep 1995, Peter Trei wrote:

> > Finding the mail mixed in there is evidence that supports the "charge"
> > but surely can be rebutted.  When I was practicing in a small town c.
> > 1984, people would be summoned (sent a paper telling them to show up) to
> > court for illegal dumping if their mail was found with other trash, old
> > refrigerators, etc., in a creek somewhere.  Those charged could always
> > put on proof that Billy Bob's garbage service picked up their trash ...
>
> > The sentence was almost always to go and pick up some multiple of the
> > garbage found and take it to the landfill.
>
> This was Stockbridge, in MA, right :-?

No, it was in Western Kentucky with a week or two of a family's garbage
and maybe a worn out appliance or two.  No garbage pickup provided by the
county; private haulers expensive; dropping much at the landfill both
inconvenient and "unnecessary" given the availability of hard to find
valleys and creeks.

EBD

> 	        That's what we did, and drove back to the church, had a
> 	thanksgiving dinner that couldn't be beat, went to sleep and didn't
> 	get up until the next morning, when we got a phone call from officer
> 	Obie.  Said "Kid, we found your name on an envelope at the bottom of a
> 	half a ton of garbage, and just wanted to know if you had any
> 	information bout it". I said "Yes Sir Officer Obie, I cannot tell a
> 	lie, I put that envelope under that garbage."
> (c) Arlo Guthrie
>

> Peter Trei
> Senior Software Engineer
> Purveyor Development Team
> Process Software Corporation
> http://www.process.com
> trei@process.com

Not a lawyer on the Net, although I play one in real life.
Flame way! I get treated worse in person every day!!

Thread