1995-09-07 - Zimmerman’s statute

Header Data

From: Brian Davis <bdavis@thepoint.net>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 07cbdbaec03892f19a6a936a45efa52d6ebd6a66ed9ae1eb4b0afc3295165da9
Message ID: <Pine.D-G.3.91.950903212711.8430C-100000-100000@dg.thepoint.net>
Reply To: <jw5RwkkAs2nN084yn@ouray.cudenver.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1995-09-07 15:55:48 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 7 Sep 95 08:55:48 PDT

Raw message

From: Brian Davis <bdavis@thepoint.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 95 08:55:48 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Zimmerman's statute

On Fri, 1 Sep 1995, Alan Westrope wrote:

> On Fri, 01 Sep 1995, Michael Froomkin <mfroomki@umiami.ir.miami.edu> wrote:
>
> > I think he would have to be charged first.  Have I missed something?
> > PS when does the statute of limitations run out?
>
> June '96.  Zimmermann and Dubois appeared on a local talk radio show
> recently; a friend happened to catch the program, taped it, and played
> excerpts at a Cypherpunks meeting.  This date was mentioned by Phil Dubois.

I wouldn't be so sure.  There are lots of "creative" ways to, in effect,
extend the statute.  My personal sense is that DOJ eventually wants to
get this over with, so presumably would not attempt to be so "creative."

The "usual" statute of limitations for federal crimes is 5 years, but
conspiracy, RICO, bank fraud, tax offenses, and no doubt others that
don't occur to me right now, muddy the 5 year statute.  Bank fraud, for
example, has a 10 year statute.

EBD

Thread