1995-09-19 - Re: “Hackers”– brief review and anecdote…

Header Data

From: Brian Davis <bdavis@thepoint.net>
To: “Rev. Mark Grant” <mark@unicorn.com>
Message Hash: 0b51cb206179791022206fd3d1838ec7150add90195e6059c2d5573b0b4b34bd
Message ID: <Pine.D-G.3.91.950919135026.18165A-100000@dg.thepoint.net>
Reply To: <Pine.3.89.9509191823.A881-0100000@unicorn.com>
UTC Datetime: 1995-09-19 17:54:27 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 19 Sep 95 10:54:27 PDT

Raw message

From: Brian Davis <bdavis@thepoint.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 95 10:54:27 PDT
To: "Rev. Mark Grant" <mark@unicorn.com>
Subject: Re: "Hackers"-- brief review and anecdote...

On Tue, 19 Sep 1995, Rev. Mark Grant wrote:

> On Sun, 17 Sep 1995, Brian Davis wrote:
>
> > Phill obviously presents one point of view, vigorously and well.  What do
> > the rest of you think about a teen who, say, busts into a .edu site,
> > plays with the files, and ultimately brings the system down entirely for
> > 36 hours?  Fun and games?  Send him to his room, sans modem? Prosecute
> > him?  Have a TLA hire him???
>
> If it wasn't for ITAR the Net would already have secure encryption and
> authentication, and most such hacker attacks would be impossible (or at
> least impractical).
>
> 		Mark

The non-responsive answer is stricken from the record.  :-)
You mean "secure" as Netscape was secure from sameer et al.?

Apples and oranges answer to my perhaps-not-so-hypothetical question.

Still waiting for a serious response ...

Brian

Thread