1995-09-07 - Re: Collection of personal info

Header Data

From: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
To: dmandl@panix.com
Message Hash: 1c08b216a4cb60a816b6314f1cbd129a5b8deaed5025c480f4a00e8f592494f4
Message ID: <199509072046.QAA26704@panix.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 7 Sep 95 13:47:08 PDT

Raw message

From: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 95 13:47:08 PDT
To: dmandl@panix.com
Subject: Re: Collection of personal info

At 02:46 PM 9/7/95 -0400, dmandl@panix.com wrote:

>> And once the interface improves...
>
>...I won't have to deal with the inefficiencies of real sex, live
>music performances, or (non-virtual) world travel ever again.
>
>> Actually, the creation of separate "spaces" that can only be entered with
>> your (each person's) permission will have a big impact on life in the real
>> world.

Dave.  Sorry you didn't catch the implied change of tone in the above.  I
meant to show a switch from Space Cadet rhetoric about the nets to a more
realistic view.

>> And once the interface improves...

>> Actually, the creation of separate "spaces" that can only be entered with
>> your (each person's) permission

These separate spaces won't wipe out the Real World (used with permission)
but they will influence it as a form of private property that is self
enforcing neither dependent on force for protection nor capable of being
penetrated by force.  This is a BIG THING.  You can't live in it yet but you
will certainly be able to trade digital goods and services there and stash
digital goods (work product, databases, etc.).

Having a place that is under your exclusive control has enormous practical
and psychological implications.  Think of the change that occurred when
peasants came to be able to own land.  Cyberspace contains spaces that can
be cheaply created, individually owned, and free of confiscation.  And since
the bulk of the wealth of OECD countries is non-physical (consisting of
various forms of ownership rights and "choses in action") that wealth can be
protected cryptographically.

>I've got to tell you, Duncan, this kind of rhetoric pushes me over to
>the luddite side more every day.
>
>No flame intended--just one man's opinion.

Don't you like the idea of a "place" that's yours alone?  It's not dangerous
(to you).  It increases your choices.  Your power.

DCF

"You don't have to be nice to nation states you meet on the way up if you're
not coming back down."

Thread